HRC35 Side Event: Religion and Expression Online in Asia
14 June 2017 3:58 pm
Date: Thursday, 15 June 2017
Time: 11:30 to 13:00
Venue: Room IX, Palais des Nations, Geneva
This panel discussion seeks to provide a platform for human rights defenders to highlight ground realities in the exercise of expression and religion in online spaces and look at the criminalisation of speech termed as ‘blasphemy’ in relation to hate speech which remains unaddressed. This event will also see the sharing of initial findings by the Association for Progressive Communications and the Centre for Communication Governance on the issues of hate speech and religion related restrictions on expression.
This event is co-organised by the Asian Forum for Human Rights and Development (FORUM-ASIA) and the Association for Progressive Communications (APC).
- Anriette Esterhyusen, Association for Progressive Communications
- Amos Toh, Legal Advisor to the UN Special Rapporteur on the right to freedom of opinion and expression
- Chinmayi Arun, Center for Communication Governance, India
- Gayatri Khandhadai, Association for Progressive Communications
- Haroon Balooch, Bytes for All, Pakistan
- Shahinda Ismail, Maldivian Democracy Network, The Maldives